My good friend, Erol, and I made the Thanksgiving weekend in Beijing. He froze (calling Dubai home right now) and I was "at home" in the cold winter wind bundled up in a hat, scarf and mittens. Even with the chilling wind- we wandered the streets in search of good food, new studio decorations, good deals and Christmas gifts.
All in all- it was a huge success. See the album from the facebook here:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2348087&id=16906143
Here are some other fotos from the weekend:

Erol- at the Ming Tombs. We literally had 20 minutes to see ALL of this place. We ran back to the bus... and got yelled at by the bus driver. This was not the first NOR the last time the bus driver was mad at us.... oh well. Check out the video... we had no idea what was going on ALL weekend because we were on a Chinese-language tour. The only white kids on the entire bus.

Erol and the Great Wall.

Meg and the Great Wall
A view from the bus window on our way to the Great Wall.

With a bag full of Chinese goodies (aka a bunch of candy we don´t recognize) a beer and an outdoor market= we had an entertaining evening wandering around.

Man selling food at one of these vendors- ¨Cat: MEOW! You want cat?¨ Both of us: NO!

This is the pearl market. We bought digital picture frames, a pair of boots, two pair of pearls .... Erol can bargain with the best of them and I learned my skills aren´t as good as I thought. Another great stop. After being frozen outside, we got a coffee and headed back to the hotel... without the boots. So we had to come back.

One of the MANY gates to the Forbidden City.

A cute little teahouse. Expensive tea, very good though.
Ok, so seriously- no English ... AT ALL. The tour guide had to write down the times to be back on the bus.
Meggie, I love your blog!! Just read all your posts and watched the videos and am ready for more. I am praying for you friend. What an amazing adventure for you...and the fact that your students are great and your school is supportive!!Well, awesome. Dealing with CRTs? I think not. So crazy that we taught together a year and a half ago....seems like yesterday sometimes! Miss you!
ReplyDelete