Sunday, January 16, 2011

Thanksgiving with Jen!

Well, it has been a long time since my last post so here is an update from Thanksgiving 2010. Jen came to visit from Hong Kong and we had a great, long weekend chilling out and catching up. Here are some highlights:




Cooking dinner....

 after the grocery store, we came home with a lot of food that needed to be.... well, cooked. And since I don´t cook- it was going to be interesting.
 But Jen cooks and suggested we cook with wine... "it´s more fun that way". It didn´t take much arm twisting for me to join in.
 Jen, Meg, wine and youtube made a lovely group of little cookers! We managed chicken, stuffing, cranberries, potatoes, and dessert! thanks youtube for the countless, reliable tips.
 Dinner table set with candles!
Mind you, this doesn´t happen often haah! 


After Thanksgiving dinner, we decided to do a few typical Seoul things. Here is a peek at a few pics from our "Andrew Zimmern night" at the fish market.
   This is not "pulpo" as I know it.

  Hmm- people EAT these?

   Picking out our eel.


Man gutting out eel- very scarey. He clubbed it twice over the head then slit the belly- gross! i totally screamed, loudly.


 Our group! After picking out our live food, we headed upstairs to the restaurant section and waiting for it to come out- cooked.... well, some of it was cooked.

 Again, not octopus as I know, nor love it but it was worth the experience. I will stick to Pulpo a feira- my favorite Galician dish.
 This is about what I was thinking all dinner- Hmm, do I really want to try that.... wow- that looks "interesting",  and "well, here goes!".
 Tish and Jen playing with their food.
Best king crab ever! Cooked through and soaked in butter! wow. 



And despite the fact I announce "I don´t wanna eat the sea squirt" at the end of the video- I did, in fact, eat the sea squirt. The first bite went in then RIGHT back out.... second try went down smoothly. Then I was done eating for the night. haha. 


Next stop- Korean War Memorial Museum- great stop! 

 First of all, the outside of the museum is enough to keep you busy for about 2 hours- tankers, memorials, statues, small buildings, aircraft, and much more...


 Have you ever been inside a war tanker? We have!
 The riot happening outside the memorial on the street. never seen so much security in my life- truckloads of policemen in yellow vests---- creepy.

 Some of the displays.....
 han-bok- traditional Korean dress.
 Supaineh! We found a section on Spain!

A war ship- pretty cool huh? 

All in all, it was a great weekend! Thanks for visiting Jen. And for those of you who haven´t been- you know you are always welcome to visit!

1 comment:

  1. What an exotic Thanksgiving! You are so adventurous and brave. I think I can only go to places that have something looking like American food....I am not doing squid or octopus! But I LOVE that you do those things. I'm going to experience it vicariously through you!
    Love you friend! Happy adventures, and praying for you!

    ReplyDelete